FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Suggestion: new message indicator
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Suggestion: new message indicator [message #25314] Mon, 06 June 2005 08:17 Go to next message
Crimson is currently offline  Crimson   United States
I am migrating a community from 2+ years with phpBB over to FUD Forum. One thing I noticed that's different is that when a new thread is created, the far-left icon turns to red (in the default theme)... but when there are new posts in a thread that existed during your last login, there is a small icon to the left which links you directly to the newest post in the thread. In phpBB, this smaller icon appears even in brand new threads and just sends you to the anchor for the first post in the thread.

Would it be possible to have this added to a future version?
Re: Suggestion: new message indicator [message #25315 is a reply to message #25314] Mon, 06 June 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The function of the arrow you are referring to is quite different, in FUDforum it takes you to the 1st unread message. If you want to go to the 1st topic message, just click on the topic name.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestion: new message indicator [message #25317 is a reply to message #25314] Mon, 06 June 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crimson is currently offline  Crimson   United States
Yeah, I know the functionality is different... it would be such a small change, but it would make former phpBB users more comfortable.

Unless it's possible to add the icon into a custom template, then I can just do it myself. Razz
Re: Suggestion: new message indicator [message #25318 is a reply to message #25317] Mon, 06 June 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The link can be added via the template, personally I feel adding it would be confusing, given the difference in functionality. Having a link do two distinct actions depending on the situation would only breed confusion.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon9.gif  Re: Suggestion: new message indicator [message #29989 is a reply to message #25318] Fri, 27 January 2006 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
papaminimaus is currently offline  papaminimaus   Germany
Hi Ilia,

is there any difference in functionality between Mozilla/Firefox and IE? We encounter the problem, that the button doesnt work in FIrefox, but works fine in IE.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Arne
Re: Suggestion: new message indicator [message #30007 is a reply to message #29989] Sun, 29 January 2006 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The new message indicator is generated by code on the backend so there should be no difference between any browser. In all the browsers I've tried things work identically, the only reason for the difference could be different cache settings in your browsers.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestion: new message indicator [message #30028 is a reply to message #30007] Mon, 30 January 2006 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
papaminimaus is currently offline  papaminimaus   Germany
Hi Ilia,

the button appears in any browser, but sometimes doesnt work in Firefox. The funniest is, it sometimes works... And as I found out that some images changes from png to gif when using IE, i thougt there was some kind of regongnition function which browser one uses.

I will Try Opera (where i can change the browser identity) and type more if i can find out anything....

Your Arne

Edit: Opera works fine, no change when changing identity... I think it must be some kind of java-script-safety stuff in firefox

[Updated on: Mon, 30 January 2006 09:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Suggestion: new message indicator [message #30030 is a reply to message #30028] Mon, 30 January 2006 14:57 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I use Firefox almost exclusively for my browsing and I have not encountered the issue you've described.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Problem using forum_login.php
Next Topic: Realy slow
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:49:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02474 seconds