FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Lock / Unlock and file permissions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Lock / Unlock and file permissions [message #33074] Fri, 11 August 2006 07:57 Go to previous message
billnot is currently offline  billnot   Spain
Hi,

I think I may be getting to the bottom of why certain things are giving me problems.

When I unlocked my forum, I could no longer access it in any way, shape or form. This is because the unlock procedure gives everything 666 or 777 permissions. This is banned by my Ihost which treats 666 or 777 as 000. This is what they have to say:

"The most common reason for „500 server error“ message, output by a PHP script, are incorrect file permissions. You need to make sure that the PHP script inself and every other file or directory on the account does not have world-writable permissions (666,777).

Our servers are running under SuExec environment and scripts are run with the username of their owner, and not with the user of the web server („apache“). Thus, if a script has to write to a file/directory, world-writable permissions are not needed
A file/directory with world-writable permissions is considered insecure, and cannot be used/executed."

Presumably it would be a trivial thing to change the code so that "unlock" changed everything to 664 / 775 rather than 666 / 777. Could somebody tell me which file and what to change to do this, please?

Or, worst case scenario, am I totally stuffed because certain things demand 666/777 despite what my hosts say? Could this have anything to do with my problems piping to maillist.php?

I manually changed enough to reaccess the forum and lock it again, but it has been a bit of a nightmare!

--
Bill Hayles
El Inglés Loco
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: users_mod format + last_login
Next Topic: Problem running getlists from cron
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]