FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Multiple forums with multiple administrators and one user list - is this possible?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Multiple forums with multiple administrators and one user list - is this possible? [message #34011] Sun, 01 October 2006 15:24 Go to next message
streety is currently offline  streety   United Kingdom
This isn't really a how-to but more a 'can this be done?'

I want to integrate a forum and private messaging system in with a project I'm currently working on.

Users will be able to form private groups and I want the original member of each group to be able to create a private forum. Parts of this forum should be visible to all (including users who are not a member of the group) and other parts should be totally private and visible only to members of the group. The original user should be able to control what is private and what isn't. Furthermore the original member should be able to create sub-groups and further control access in their private forum.

These private forums should require their own url to access and wouldn't show up on mysite.com/forum for example. I'm hoping to establish 10-100 private groups so it would just look cluttered.

Registration and login should be achieved via a custom form designed for the whole site. Reading other posts in this section this seems possible.

The rest of my requirements I don't know about. I would be absolutely amazed if it could all be done 'straight from the box' but if someone could give me some idea as to whether it is possible and if so how much work would be involved that would be great.

If anything is unclear please reply and I'll try to explain myself more fully.
Re: Multiple forums with multiple administrators and one user list - is this possible? [message #34019 is a reply to message #34011] Sun, 01 October 2006 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The simple answer is, yes this can be done.

Most of the things you need can be done via functions location inside the FUDAPI, the group management functions can be found inside groups.inc.t.

Using these functions you can create wrappers for your other application that will generate necessary FUDforum entities given desired data.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Multiple forums with multiple administrators and one user list - is this possible? [message #34022 is a reply to message #34011] Sun, 01 October 2006 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's great, from blog posts I've read elsewhere I thought this may be easier to achieve in FUDforum than in other forum applications but I thought it would still require some significant hacking. I think it is time to jump in and see what it can do.

Thanks for the swift response as well, I wasn't expecting a reply before Monday at the earliest.
Re: Multiple forums with multiple administrators and one user list - is this possible? [message #34149 is a reply to message #34011] Sun, 08 October 2006 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PerS is currently offline  PerS   Norway
streety, have you had any luck creating this ? I'd also like to create something like this for a project I'm working on.

Kind regards,
Per
Re: Multiple forums with multiple administrators and one user list - is this possible? [message #34150 is a reply to message #34011] Sun, 08 October 2006 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've not really got started with this aspect of the project yet.

I only work on my web projects in my spare time and with just starting a postgrad course my spare time has been limited.

Add in necessary work on an existing script I maintain and I have zip on this project.

I would suggest we pool our research but at the moment that would be too much like leaching and I don't want to do that. I hope you find more time to work on this than I so far have.
Re: Multiple forums with multiple administrators and one user list - is this possible? [message #34168 is a reply to message #34150] Mon, 09 October 2006 18:27 Go to previous message
PerS is currently offline  PerS   Norway
Time is allways a problem Smile

I guess a good start is to rtfm. If I have any luck / time to do this, I'll report back to you here.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How do I fix that!!!
Next Topic: Attachment problem
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:48:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04462 seconds