FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » archive some forums in a category
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
archive some forums in a category [message #34640] Fri, 10 November 2006 19:27 Go to next message
treebeard is currently offline  treebeard   United States
How do we archive (lock) several subforums, but keep other forums open for posting? I can see that I could set some forums to require password posting and/or be moderated, is that that best way?
Re: archive some forums in a category [message #34649 is a reply to message #34640] Sun, 12 November 2006 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dustin Kowalski is currently offline  Dustin Kowalski   United Kingdom
You want forums that only certain forum members can access and only then if you give them rights to do so. (Visit my site and look at the bottom; there are a few forums that can't be entered, even though you can see them.)

The password-protection thing *might* help in this case as it doesn't allow posting without knowing the password. However, if you don't want unauthorised people to be able to *read* the content of the forum, it's no good to you.

If you want to copy the way that I did it, it's not so hard.

You have to go into the admin control panel. From menu on the left, select "Groups Manager".

Give your group a name such as "Access rights". Highlight which of the forums you want them to have access to. If there are more than one, hold down <Ctrl> to select them.

You're not inheriting from anywhere, so leave it set to nowhere.

Have "anonymous and registered masks" set to yes; this is because you want people the invisibility applied to people who aren't logged on.

Set every option to whatever priveleges you want members to have.

Once that's done, it's time to put people in the new group and give them somne special access rights.

From the forums' main page, click on Group(s) Manager. Scroll through the drop-down box until you find your newly created group. Then, bring up a name of a member that you want to be in that group and assign him.

Go down to the "all registered users" and "anonymous users". Set their priveleges to no for things and save. That way, those users (i.e. anybody not logged in as a member of the group) has fewer rights than those that are.

Even if this is not terribly clear, I hope it helps.

Re: archive some forums in a category [message #34650 is a reply to message #34640] Sun, 12 November 2006 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
treebeard is currently offline  treebeard   United States
Dustin, you rock!! And for my part, d'oh! I should have thought of the Groups Manager, but it just didn't occur to me, and the best option in Category and Forum Management seemed to be the password thing. But I've done just what you're saying with Groups Manager many times before--don't know why that didn't occur to me!

Much appreciated.
Re: archive some forums in a category [message #34651 is a reply to message #34640] Sun, 12 November 2006 01:05 Go to previous message
Dustin Kowalski is currently offline  Dustin Kowalski   United Kingdom
You're welcome http://www.jeb.org.uk/forumoj/images/smiley_icons/WinkSmile.png
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: what table is the ban column in?
Next Topic: mbox -> forum issues
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Oct 21 01:40:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02763 seconds