FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Include Comments In Coding
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Include Comments In Coding [message #35001 is a reply to message #35000] Fri, 01 December 2006 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dustin Kowalski is currently offline  Dustin Kowalski   United Kingdom
Ernesto wrote on Fri, 01 December 2006 11:29

I strongly disagree Ilia. Most people who work on themes and skins are designers and not programmers, they use other tools than the classical "nerd tools" that a Linux user knows about.

I would think that you're correct. My knowledge of programming is very sparse. I've started to learn JavaScript and Java to further my own understanding, but my own background is in linguistics and economics.

Quote:

FUDforum is not all that easy to reskin, because it's hard to find out the structure of the skin, and what goes where etc. A documentation, WOULD help the designers create skins more easily.

Agreed. This is why I'm forever asking which templates to change. Judging by the content of the forums and the frequency with which such question are asked, I'd say that a lot of people would benefit from the help. I know I certainly would.

Quote:

I actually started working on a documentation a while ago, since I felt it was needed. But it's far from being ready.

These things always take a long time, don't they?! They really have to be a labour of love http://www.jeb.org.uk/forumoj/images/smiley_icons/WinkSmile.png

Quote:

When you create your own skin, and the forum is upgraded, it's always a bitch to find out which files have been altered etc etc.

I was very, very fearful of this myself. I've kept a list of the template files that I've changed, but am bound to run into problems eventually.

Quote:

How would it be, that if you create a custom template, it makes "if file exist" calls on all the tmpl files in that directory, and if they do not exist, it uses the default template files in those spots instead? (Maybe it already does this, if so, ignore me, myself and I)

So, if all I wanna skin is the looks of an individual message, then I only put the drawmsg.tmpl in my CUSTOM folder, and since i want all of the rest to have the default appearance, I just let it compile those "missing" files from the default directory, instead of copying them over.

This is a brilliant suggestion. It'd be great if it could be included, saving a lot of unnecessary work.

Thanks for that post, Ernesto. You said a lot of things that I felt, but didn't really feel comfortable posting about because of my ignorance of the computing world.

Thanks again http://www.jeb.org.uk/forumoj/images/smiley_icons/Happy.gif
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Save and undelete deleted messages
Next Topic: No more scrolling up when applying style to a message