FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » using favicon.ico
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
using favicon.ico [message #38735] Sat, 25 August 2007 12:59 Go to next message
mennella is currently offline  mennella   Italy
has the favicon.ico use been implemented in any php template?

thanks
peppe
Re: using favicon.ico [message #38737 is a reply to message #38735] Sat, 25 August 2007 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nectar2 is currently offline  nectar2   China
Hi,

Do you try to add some code like this to \theme\default\index.php head section?

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://example.com/favicon.ico" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon">

Or you can get it via script, like some hosting default setting,

Like mine: http://bbs.anqun.cn
Re: using favicon.ico [message #163281 is a reply to message #38737] Wed, 13 October 2010 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tw_nick   United States

FYI, that worked like a charm (editing the index.php for the theme). I used a favicon.ico file in the theme's images folder and didn't even have to rebuild.
Re: using favicon.ico [message #163283 is a reply to message #163281] Thu, 14 October 2010 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
You should put the code in header.tmpl.
If not, you are up for a surprise when you rebuild.
The README file in the 'theme' directory clearly states 'DO NOT EDIT HERE'!
Re: using favicon.ico [message #163287 is a reply to message #163283] Thu, 14 October 2010 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
You can also (and should) place a favicon.ico in your webs www root directory - Browsers will read that even without the link rel - You mostly use the link rel when you want to use different favicons for different subdirectories - IE, you rmainpage might have one icon, but your /forum/ uses another, etc.

Use the template editor built into the forum in the admin area, find the header.tmpl and add the link rel there if you want it, else the changes you make will not stick over recomiling the themes (as naudjef mentioned!)

Re: using favicon.ico [message #163288 is a reply to message #163287] Thu, 14 October 2010 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tw_nick   United States

I initially put the favicon.ico file in the www root, expecting it to be picked up by the browser. In our corporate IE7 (I know, I know...) deployment, the browser is not displaying the icon by default. That's why I had to reference it in the header.

However, based on the post by naudefj, I will look at header.tmpl instead. So, would the surprise simply be that the icon goes away? Or will stuff just 'break?'
Re: using favicon.ico [message #163289 is a reply to message #163288] Thu, 14 October 2010 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The favicon has to be placed in your servers www root, not in the www root referenced by the forum.

But adding a link ref will naturally work for you, just saying that if you place the favicon in the right folder, its not needed.

The surprise is that any changes you made will vanish, since you have only done changes in the compiled theme, not in the "code behind it" so to speak

Re: using favicon.ico [message #163292 is a reply to message #163289] Thu, 14 October 2010 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tw_nick   United States

Ok, thanks again. I edited the header.tmpl file as well, so even if I do a rebuild, the template itself may change, but I'm guessing the change to the template will cover me going forward.
Re: using favicon.ico [message #163294 is a reply to message #163292] Thu, 14 October 2010 20:38 Go to previous message
Yeah - Usually you do the changes to the tmpl files via the built-in template editor, that way when you hit the button, the theme recomiles and the changes goes live

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Imported user default settings, where to change?
Next Topic: Different sized backups of same forum?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:57:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02408 seconds