FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Scaling FUDforum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Scaling FUDforum [message #39569] Wed, 07 November 2007 16:55 Go to next message
tangledweb is currently offline  tangledweb   United States
I have a moderately popular forum running FUDforum 2.7.4..

I am running into some issues, which are mostly caused by the cheap, incompetent shared host but are affected by the (default?) ways FUDforum does things.

Has somebody written guidelines for running bigger forums?

I am in the process of moving it is a different host, which is not easy as datadump fails in various places so everything needs doing by hand over slow FTP connections.

In the process, I am seeing some things that could be improved, and don't know if the options are already there to turn on.

Is there an option to break file attachment storage across multiple directories? Having tens of thousands of files in a single directory is a bottleneck.

Is there an way to break message text storage across multiple files? It would be easier for many things (including the built in tools that are supposed to run inside a browser with the timeouts and timelimits that imposes) to work with ten 10Mb files than one 100Mb file.
Re: Scaling FUDforum [message #39574 is a reply to message #39569] Fri, 09 November 2007 01:37 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   
Administrator
Core Developer
Usually tweaking MySQL buffers will give you significant improvements in speed. Also use of an opcode cache such as APC or eAccelerator is an absolute must if you want any kind of serious performance.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Stop My New Quote Formatting Causing A Mess
Next Topic: Can SPAM mailers abuse the fudforum mailing software?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 13:21:18 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.36423 seconds