FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » location of GLOBALS.php
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
location of GLOBALS.php [message #4334] Wed, 24 July 2002 02:27 Go to next message
fjrohlf is currently offline  fjrohlf   United States
I am just now getting around to upgrading from v1.2.3. I have downloaded the various update files directly to my RH7.3 system.

I started with the update-v1.2.8.php script placed in my /var/www/html directory and did a chmod 777. When I run it from my browser it starts ok and then asks for the full path to GLOBALS.php. There is symbolic link to it in my /var/www/html/forum directory but the original file is in /var/www/forumdata/include directory. If I supply either path I get the message "You do not appear to be inside forum's main www directory". What directory should I give it?

Thanks.

Jim
Re: location of GLOBALS.php [message #4339 is a reply to message #4334] Wed, 24 July 2002 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
/var/www/forumdata/include/GLOBALS.php is the path your need to specify.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: location of GLOBALS.php [message #4341 is a reply to message #4339] Wed, 24 July 2002 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is what I had tried before. Just to make sure, I pasted your suggestion into the form. I received the same message. It did also display the 'next' button but I did not want to proceed when there was an error message because I did not want to risk messing things up.

Jim
Re: location of GLOBALS.php [message #4345 is a reply to message #4341] Wed, 24 July 2002 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Your forum in installed inside /var/www/html/forum, hence the upgrade script should be there as well.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon12.gif  Re: location of GLOBALS.php [message #4346 is a reply to message #4345] Wed, 24 July 2002 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It worked! Thanks.

Jim
icon5.gif  Problem with the next step [message #4347 is a reply to message #4346] Wed, 24 July 2002 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now I tried running the upgrade.php script from the FUDforum2_upgrade_20020712.tar file to go from 1.2.8 to 2.0.2 and I received the following message:

Beginning the file upgrade process
ERROR: failed creating /adm directory

I placed the upgrade.php file in the /var/www/html/forum directory.

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4354 is a reply to message #4347] Wed, 24 July 2002 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You are using the wrong script, you should have downloaded:
Upgrade from 1.2.8 to FUDforum 2.0.2 script

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4360 is a reply to message #4354] Wed, 24 July 2002 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, making progress. I found the proper script and tried it and got the following results.
Quote:

Deleting old backup files
Making a backup of current files
Making a backup of MySQL data
Processing table: fud_ann_forums .... DONE
Processing table: fud_announce .... DONE
Processing table: fud_attach .... DONE
Processing table: fud_avatar .... DONE
... stuff deleted ...
Processing table: fud_blocked_logins .... DONE
Processing table: fud_users .... DONE
Convert Message Storage to new format
Removing old message files
Moving user's homepage urls & biographies in to the database

Warning: RmDir failed (Permission denied) in /var/www/html/forum/oldfrm_upgrade.php on line 552
Decompressing New Forum Files

Warning: Unlink failed (Permission denied) in /var/www/html/forum/oldfrm_upgrade.php on line 180

Warning: Unlink failed (Permission denied) in /var/www/html/forum/oldfrm_upgrade.php on line 180

... more stuff ommitted ...

Warning: MkDir failed (Permission denied) in /var/www/html/forum/oldfrm_upgrade.php on line 192

Warning: MkDir failed (File exists) in /var/www/html/forum/oldfrm_upgrade.php on line 192
ERROR: failed creating /var/www/forumdata/sql directory

What is the problem now?

P.S. The forum is now unresponsive. If there an undo procedure to get back to where I was before I tried to do this upgrade?

Jim

[Updated on: Wed, 24 July 2002 21:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with the next step [message #4361 is a reply to message #4360] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
File permissions are the problem.
Mkae sure the webserver has access to the directories it is trying to create.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4363 is a reply to message #4361] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you be more specific?

In the forum directory, apache is the owner of all the files except the upgrade script. The chmod is 777 for all except php.php and blank.gif. I think there used to be more files in there - did the upgrade delete a bunch?

Looks like most files in adm are 666 (CVS is just 755) all owned by apache.

Note - I really appreciate your help. Impossible to do this without help. The documentation does not seem to say anything about these details that can go wrong.

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4364 is a reply to message #4363] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The upgrade script did/should have removed a number of files, those will be re-created later. Some new directories should've been created like include/static theme/default and several others.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4366 is a reply to message #4364] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, those did not get created. The directories in forumdata are owned by apache and have directory permissions set at 755.

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4367 is a reply to message #4366] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you show me ALL the errors you have recieve during the run of the upgrade script?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4368 is a reply to message #4367] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, here they are:
Quote:

Deleting old backup files
Making a backup of current files
Making a backup of MySQL data
Processing table: fud_ann_forums .... DONE
Processing table: fud_announce .... DONE
Processing table: fud_attach .... DONE
Processing table: fud_avatar .... DONE
Processing table: fud_blocked_logins .... DONE
Processing table: fud_buddy .... DONE
Processing table: fud_cat .... DONE
Processing table: fud_custom_tags .... DONE
Processing table: fud_email_block .... DONE
Processing table: fud_ext_block .... DONE
Processing table: fud_forum .... DONE
Processing table: fud_forum_notify .... DONE
Processing table: fud_forum_read .... DONE
Processing table: fud_index .... DONE
Processing table: fud_ip_block .... DONE
Processing table: fud_level .... DONE
Processing table: fud_mod .... DONE
Processing table: fud_mod_que .... DONE
Processing table: fud_msg .... DONE
Processing table: fud_msg_report .... DONE
Processing table: fud_pmsg .... DONE
Processing table: fud_poll .... DONE
Processing table: fud_poll_opt .... DONE
Processing table: fud_poll_opt_track .... DONE
Processing table: fud_read .... DONE
Processing table: fud_replace .... DONE
Processing table: fud_search .... DONE
Processing table: fud_ses .... DONE
Processing table: fud_settings .... DONE
Processing table: fud_smiley .... DONE
Processing table: fud_style .... DONE
Processing table: fud_thread .... DONE
Processing table: fud_thread_notify .... DONE
Processing table: fud_thread_rate_track .... DONE
Processing table: fud_thread_view .... DONE
Processing table: fud_title_index .... DONE
Processing table: fud_user_ignore .... DONE
Processing table: fud_users .... DONE
Convert Message Storage to new format
Removing old message files
Moving user's homepage urls & biographies in to the database

Warning: RmDir failed (Permission denied) in /var/www/html/forum/oldfrm_upgrade.php on line 552
Decompressing New Forum Files

Warning: MkDir failed (Permission denied) in /var/www/html/forum/oldfrm_upgrade.php on line 192

Warning: MkDir failed (File exists) in /var/www/html/forum/oldfrm_upgrade.php on line 192
ERROR: failed creating /var/www/forumdata/sql directory

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4369 is a reply to message #4368] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
remove the sql/ directory and re-run the script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4370 is a reply to message #4369] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where is that? I don't see it under forum or forumdata.

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4371 is a reply to message #4370] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The upgrade script filed with an error saying that
/var/www/forumdata/sql
directory already exists.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4372 is a reply to message #4371] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It does not exist now.

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4373 is a reply to message #4372] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am curious about the first error message.

Why did the "rmdir user_setings" fail? The directory is present, owned by apache, 777, and empty.

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4374 is a reply to message #4373] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I am not certain actually, does the directory contain any files?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4375 is a reply to message #4374] Wed, 24 July 2002 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, it is empty.

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4376 is a reply to message #4375] Wed, 24 July 2002 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
then the problem could be with php's rmdir() function.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4377 is a reply to message #4376] Wed, 24 July 2002 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What can I do about that? Is there a way to at least restore the forum while we try to figure out what went wrong?

I am using php ver. 4.1.2

Jim

[Updated on: Wed, 24 July 2002 22:09]

Re: Problem with the next step [message #4378 is a reply to message #4377] Wed, 24 July 2002 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Best and quickest approach would be to complete the upgrade process.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4379 is a reply to message #4377] Wed, 24 July 2002 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just noticed that the files in the settings directory are mostly 644. Does that matter?

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step [message #4380 is a reply to message #4379] Wed, 24 July 2002 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Nope, that is fine.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon9.gif  Re: Problem with the next step [message #4381 is a reply to message #4378] Wed, 24 July 2002 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, I am willing to keep trying - but what should I try next? My forum is now in limbo.

As an experiment I removed the user_settings directory that gave the first error message for line 552. The message went away but the warnings for line 180 are still there plus the final error about not being able to create the sql directory.

I then created the forumdata/sql directory. Made apache the owner and chmod 777. Then ran the script again. Same results including the complaint about not being able to create the sql directory.

I have no idea what to try next.

Jim

[Updated on: Thu, 25 July 2002 02:45]

icon5.gif  Re: Problem with the next step - please help [message #4395 is a reply to message #4381] Thu, 25 July 2002 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you thought of anything else for me to try?

My forum is still out of service because of this failed upgrade. I suspect the problem could have been due to permissions but I could not find any documentation that indicated how they should be set so there was nothing I could do to make sure my forum was ready for the upgrade script.

Jim
Re: Problem with the next step - please help [message #4397 is a reply to message #4395] Thu, 25 July 2002 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Try running it again, when you get a permissions error, see why it happened and act acordingly, for example create directories if needed etc...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with the next step - please help [message #4398 is a reply to message #4397] Thu, 25 July 2002 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am sorry, but I already said I have tried that where I could. All the directories are owned by apache and 777. Most of the files are 666. I created the sql directory but got the same error message. What else can I do?

Jim
icon5.gif  Re: Problem with the next step - please help [message #4401 is a reply to message #4398] Thu, 25 July 2002 20:24 Go to previous message
When I run the script I get a long list of warnings from line 180 about not being able to unlink files. What files are these? Since it is just a warning should I be concerned?

The error message is about not being able to create the /var/www/forumdata/sql directory. I created it by hand and the script still gives the same errors.

Just before all the warnings it says "Decompressing New Forum Files". Has that been done yet or does it mean it is about to do it before it fails? Has it gotten far enough through the script that I could do some of the next steps by hand?

I have a complete copy of the /var partition that I made before these updates (I was running 1.2.3) and the update from RH7.2 to RH7.3. Can I just copy the old files back and return to version 1.2.3 or would that mess up the data files? I need to do something to get the forum back online!

Could I get a response from someone please?

Jim

[Updated on: Fri, 26 July 2002 01:41]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Where do I find my forum?
Next Topic: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in XXXX/XXXX/XXXX/install.php
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 02:51:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03830 seconds