FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » How do I force users to login to view forum?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How do I force users to login to view forum? [message #4319] Tue, 23 July 2002 13:43 Go to next message
computer_dan is currently offline  computer_dan   Canada

Is there a way that I can force users to log in to the forum to view things?

I've tried to go to the groups manager and make Anonymous users:
Visible: YES
Read: NO

and also tried the reverse combination of:
Visible: NO
Read: YES

and:
Visible: NO
Read: NO

But in all combinations, the Categories and Forums disappear from the page for anonymous users. I would still like anonymous users to know what the Category and Forum names are, but they cannot read anything inside unless they login.

Is this possible?
Re: How do I force users to login to view forum? [message #4323 is a reply to message #4319] Tue, 23 July 2002 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Visible == YES
READ == NO,

It would let the people see the forums on the front page, but won't let them read it UNLESS they login or register if they do not yet have an account.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How do I force users to login to view forum? [message #4324 is a reply to message #4323] Tue, 23 July 2002 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
computer_dan is currently offline  computer_dan   Canada

I tried that. It doesn't work. With all of the combinations above, the Forums (in the Category) disappear totally.

Re: How do I force users to login to view forum? [message #4325 is a reply to message #4324] Tue, 23 July 2002 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That is probably a bug then, I'll look into the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How do I force users to login to view forum? [message #4338 is a reply to message #4324] Wed, 24 July 2002 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
computer_dan wrote on Tue, 23 July 2002 10:27

I tried that. It doesn't work. With all of the combinations above, the Forums (in the Category) disappear totally.

Confirmed bug, fixed in the CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How do I force users to login to view forum? [message #4479 is a reply to message #4338] Sat, 27 July 2002 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
james is currently offline  james   United States
I have the same problem, and I would really like to fix it; however, as you know, I have had no luck upgrading the FUDforum, and I REALLY don't want to try to run the upgrade script with my safe mode woes. However, if you could tell me which files I should replace with the CVS files, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks!!!
Re: How do I force users to login to view forum? [message #4480 is a reply to message #4479] Sat, 27 July 2002 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I believe replacing the index.php.t file with the one from CVS should solve that particular problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How do I force users to login to view forum? [message #4494 is a reply to message #4480] Sun, 28 July 2002 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks so much!!! I've sent you a small donation. Hopefully I will be able to send you more in the future, depending on personal finances. Keep up the great work!
Problem not solved? [message #4496 is a reply to message #4494] Sun, 28 July 2002 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I copied over the index.php.t file from the CVS, but I do not belive the problem is fixed. I ran the forum consistency checker and rebuilt my themes, just to be sure, but I still have the same problem that the originator of this thread has. If a forum has visible=yes and read=no, anonymous users still cannot see the forum on the main page.
Re: Problem not solved? [message #4498 is a reply to message #4496] Sun, 28 July 2002 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmmm, seems to work fine on my test server here.
Do you have any custom groups you've created?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem not solved? [message #4500 is a reply to message #4498] Sun, 28 July 2002 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, lol, nevermind. Sorry about that. It TOTALLY WORKS FINE. I uploaded via FTP (which is a no-no with my safe mode). I uploaded with the file browser included with FUD and it now works perfectly.
Re: Problem not solved? [message #4501 is a reply to message #4500] Sun, 28 July 2002 23:46 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
There you go Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Help... upgraded forum but style changes are gone
Next Topic: Users from Active Dircetory
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 06 07:16:45 GMT 2024