FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » All Registered Users create new threads
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
All Registered Users create new threads [message #4520] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:15 Go to next message
jbutler is currently offline  jbutler   United States
It seems that only "privileged" users (i.e. Administrators...not Moderators) can create new threads by default.

Is there a way to allow all registered users to create new threads?

Thanks.
FudForum v.2.3
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4522 is a reply to message #4520] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Uhm... by default all registered users should have that ability. If they do not, go into the group manager and make sure registered users have 'Post' permission.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4523 is a reply to message #4520] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess, more specifically: which entry in the fudforum database controls users' ability to create new threads?

I ask because:
After a routine installation of v.2.3 I dumped all of our old members from v.1.6 into the new fud21_users table, and tried to add a thread as a non-Admin users (as a normal user and as a moderator). In both the 'normal' and 'moderator' modes, I click "New Thread" and go to the new thread page, fill out the form with thread subject and everything, and hit "Create Thread" with no success. I am returned to the existing categories/threads and the attempt to create a new thread is not in evidence.

I am seeing no PHP/MySQL or Fud errors...it's just not creating the threads. Administrators have no problem like this.

Thanks again.
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4524 is a reply to message #4523] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"All Registered Users" group has Post permission.
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4525 is a reply to message #4523] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmmm, so for all the forums the 'Post' permssion is set to 'Yes' for all registered users?

When people try making a new post, do they get a permissions error, or what happens?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4526 is a reply to message #4525] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corretc. All forums show "Yes" for Post and Reply for all users, with the exception of Global Anonymous Users, which shows "No" to Post and Reply.

It looks like a normal user can create a thread and/or a reply, because the correct page displays when that link is selected (i.e. goes to the New Thread interface or the Post Reply interface).

The user can enter a thread subject, select smileys, enter the thread content, etc., however clicking "Create Thread" or "Post Reply" at the end of the process simply returns the user to the previous page without creating the thread or posting the reply.

There are no errors being reported by PHP, MySQL, or Fud.

Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4527 is a reply to message #4526] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clicking "Preview..." before clicking "Post" shows the correct "new thread" or "post reply" that the user is attempting to enter.

It's the final step in the process that is not happening.
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4528 is a reply to message #4526] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you go and register a new user on your forum, do they have the same problem, or does it only affect the users you've imported in?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4529 is a reply to message #4528] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just created a new user using the Fud interface/process, with the same results: Can't post or reply.
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4530 is a reply to message #4529] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just now modified the "Global Anonymous Users" group to allow posting and replying (using the Admin Control Panel), with the same results: Can't make a new thread or reply to one unles I'm logged in as an Administrator.
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4531 is a reply to message #4530] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you give me a URL to your forum please.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4532 is a reply to message #4531] Mon, 29 July 2002 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure:

http://criminaldefense.com/forum2/

Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4533 is a reply to message #4532] Tue, 30 July 2002 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Very unusual problem, would it be possible for you to meet me on IRC, where we could try to see the cause of the problem in realtime?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4534 is a reply to message #4533] Tue, 30 July 2002 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to.

I need (very badly) to leave work and return home where I will take a strong painkiller (I had oral surgery, earlier today).

I will log back onto this forum in about 90 minutes or so.

If I cannot re-connect with you then, I will certainly notify you of my return-to-action in the morning.

I apologize for having to leave, and I hope we can continue.

Thanks a lot for everything, so far. I'm looking forward...

James
Re: All Registered Users create new threads [message #4535 is a reply to message #4534] Tue, 30 July 2002 00:13 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Allright, I hope your feeling better then.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Users from Active Dircetory
Next Topic: Stored in a file or in the database?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 06 02:20:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02619 seconds