FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6106] Wed, 02 October 2002 09:14 Go to next message
Micha37 is currently offline  Micha37   Germany
Hi there,

I have installed FUDforum 2.3.1 and everything is working very fine, except two things:

1)Importing Newsgroup
I created an empty forum and setup the Newsgroup Manager refering to this empt forum. I installed the cronjob according to your suggestion. Anyway, the script does not import the news to this group even if its just a few messages (4). Could this be caused by the script execution limit (10sec), which is set by my Provider (Puretec in Germany).
Does anybody have a suggestion.

2)Importing mails from a mailing list
Reading the documentation, I could not figure out, how to setup FUDForum to import a mailing list. Actually I could connect a forum to a mailing lists and forum post are transfered to the designated adresse. Anyway, I have not found a way to import mails from the mailing list into the forum.
I am happy about any advise.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and best regards

Michael Bertsch

Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6109 is a reply to message #6106] Wed, 02 October 2002 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If the script is unable to even import a 'few' messages it is unlikely the problem is the execution time limit. You can always try running the script manually rather then cron and then you'll see if any errors occur on screen. If you do no encounter any errors on screen, check inside errors/.nntp/. There probably is an 'error_log' file in there, which contains error messages that prevented the NNTP data from being imported.

As for setting up Mailing List importer, how are you trying to get the message to the forum's improt script? Are you using procmail or some other mechanism?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6110 is a reply to message #6109] Wed, 02 October 2002 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thanks for the fast response.
Actually I found an error message in the Error Log :
"Failed to recieve proper response from NNTP Server, got 502 Excessive abuse from your host. Contact <news(at)fu-berlin(dot)de> for details. infong42.kundenserver.de (212.227.109.35) is not welcome." And also found a new empty file called "news.puretec.de-de.sci.medizin.diabetes.lock".

Actually this is very strange, as I am using the same settings in another NG reader at http://www.diabetes-kids.de/myng/ and it works no problem.

Also I tried to use a free Newsserver, which is working without authentification but no news are imported but also no error log is written.

If you want to see the FUDForum, please look at http://www.diabetes-kids.de/Forum

Currently I can not try to run the script manually, because I have no shell access in the office. I will do that tonight.

Best regards

Michael

Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6112 is a reply to message #6109] Wed, 02 October 2002 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regarding the importing of a mailing list, I thought that this could be done by just accessing an SMTP Server, but seems not that easy. Perhaps that would be an idea for future extension.

Actually I am running my e-mail accounts on a Puretec Server, which I can not configure at all.

Also I am running a Mailinglist or better group at Yahoo groups, which I am trying to replace by something running on my server. Anyway, I have not found a solution yet and thought that FUDForum could do the job.

If you have any idea, please let me know.

Best regards

Michael

Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6113 is a reply to message #6112] Wed, 02 October 2002 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, you could write a small script (or use an existing one) to fetch emails from whatever source and pipe them to the forum's mailling list import script.
The import script needs the entire message (with headers) to be piped to it via stdout, as for who is doing the piping it does not matter.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon13.gif  Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6117 is a reply to message #6113] Wed, 02 October 2002 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

thanks for your advise, however, I am not able to write even smaller scripts myself. I am somehow able to adjust some scripts to my demands, but no chance for programming a complete new one.

If you have any idea, whether there is an existing script, to do the job, please let me know.

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6118 is a reply to message #6117] Wed, 02 October 2002 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Google is your friend...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6121 is a reply to message #6117] Wed, 02 October 2002 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Micha37 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2002 16:22

I am not able to write even smaller scripts myself. I am somehow able to adjust some scripts to my demands, but no chance for programming a complete new one.

Alternatively u could someone else have this job done for u and pay for it if u can't solve it on ur own...
SCNR Wink
Ken
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6136 is a reply to message #6112] Wed, 02 October 2002 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I have tried to call the script (/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/nntp.php 1)
directly but got the following error message: Permission denied. I suspect that this is cause by the wrong setting of the path of the PHP executable on my system, because I dont know, where to find out.

I tried to use the one, which is mentioned by the php.info of my provider (http://faq.puretec.de/skripte/php/7.php), however, same result.

Also I did CHMOD 777 to the file and directory, however, same result.

Any idea??

Best regards

Michael

Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6139 is a reply to message #6136] Thu, 03 October 2002 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there,

I still can not get the nntp.php to run. Either it tells me, "permission denied", or "No such file or directory", after I changed the setting of the PHP path.

I am desperate for any help.

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6141 is a reply to message #6139] Thu, 03 October 2002 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Okie.
To get full rights to the file, using the forum's file manager chmod nntp.php to 777.
Once you do that open the file nd edit the 1st line, which contains #!/usr/local/bin/php, so that line relfect the correct path of your command line php executable.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6142 is a reply to message #6141] Thu, 03 October 2002 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thanks for your kind support.
Actually I already did 777 before, however now I reached on estep ahead, because I found my php executable directories and now the script is at least doing something, even not yet what I want.

I got two directories:
/usr/local/bin/php3 or
/usr/local/bin/php4

If I am using the php3 directory, the system tells me:
Missing Forum ID Parameter

If I am using PHP4 the following message is comming up:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_host() in /homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/include/theme/default/imsg_edt.in c</b> on line 42

Do you have any idea for fixing this problem??

Thanks in advance and best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6143 is a reply to message #6142] Thu, 03 October 2002 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Use php4, FUDforum needs PHP4 to work, if you use PHP3 you are bound to come across problems.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6144 is a reply to message #6143] Thu, 03 October 2002 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for this information. But even using PHP4 I am facing this error message. Do you have any idea, how to solve it??

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6147 is a reply to message #6144] Thu, 03 October 2002 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Replace your maillist.php and nntp.php with the ones attaches, it should address the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6158 is a reply to message #6147] Fri, 04 October 2002 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

thank you very much for your help.
We are getting there. I installed the new script and replace the bin directory with the one of my server. Now the script is giving me the following error message:

Error in argument 1, char 3: option not found
Usage: php4 [-q] [-h] [-s [-v] [-i] [-f <file>] | {<file> [args...]}
-q Quiet-mode. Suppress HTTP Header output.
-s Display colour syntax highlighted source.
-f <file> Parse <file>. Implies `-q'
-v Version number
-C Do not chdir to the script's directory
-c <path> Look for php.ini file in this directory
-a Run interactively
-d foo[=bar] Define INI entry foo with value 'bar'
-e Generate extended information for debugger/profiler
-z <file> Load Zend extension <file>.
-l Syntax check only (lint)
-m Show compiled in modules
-i PHP information
-h This help

Any idea??

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6159 is a reply to message #6158] Fri, 04 October 2002 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Could you show me the full command line you are running in addition to the 1st line in the script (the one with the path to the PHP binary).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6160 is a reply to message #6106] Fri, 04 October 2002 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

the first line in the script is:
#!/usr/local/bin/php4 -q

and the command line I am executing is:
/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/nntp.php 1

Should be correct, isnt it?

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6161 is a reply to message #6160] Fri, 04 October 2002 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Try removing the -q argument, see if that solves the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6162 is a reply to message #6161] Fri, 04 October 2002 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

now the script seem to operate as a cron job, although I do not have shell access right now.

Anyway, whatever server I input, the script alway generates files such as :
news.puretec.de-alt.support.diabetes.kids.lock
news.cs.tu-berlin.de-es.charla.enfermedad.diabetes.lock

and does not import the news. No entry is generated to the error_log.

Actually the above servers are free news servers, without registration and are working fine from my newsreader.

This is a really long matter and I am feeling sorry to boother you so much.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestion.

Best regards

Michael

Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6166 is a reply to message #6162] Fri, 04 October 2002 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

in the meantime I checked with my shell access and again got the error message:

X-Powered-By: PHP/4.1.1
Content-type: text/html
<br>
<b>Fatal error</b>: Call to undefined function: get_host() in <b>/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/include/theme/default/im sg_edt.inc</b> on line <b>42</b><br>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `get_host()'

Seems I have a real unusual problem here.

Best regards

[Updated on: Fri, 04 October 2002 14:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6167 is a reply to message #6166] Fri, 04 October 2002 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, previous message was my mistake, I used the old script!!
Actually when I just remove the -q, my system tells me that:

bash: /homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/nntp.php: No such file or directory

I surely did chmod 777 and if I add the -q, the previous mentioned error occurs again.

More than strange.

Do you have any more ideas

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6177 is a reply to message #6167] Fri, 04 October 2002 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seems you are running out of ideas or motivationnow.
In the meantime I checked the path of PHP executable with my provider and he gave me:

/kunden/usr/local/apache/share/cgi-bin/php4

I tried and result is the same as using the path, which I figured out:
With -q
-v Version number
-a Run interactively
-i PHP information
-h This help

Without -q
bash: /homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/nntp.php: No such file or directory

Seem I am trapped and I have not even any idea to solve it. Also this is the first script, which I have tried,which is requiring this path information and I tried quite a few. Even other newsreaders are working no problem.

Anyway, if nobody has an idea, I will just have to give up.

Best regards, have a good weekend and thanks anyway for your great effort.

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6190 is a reply to message #6177] Sat, 05 October 2002 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you try the following script please:

#!/path/to/your/php -q
<?

var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['argv']);

?>

and the run the script like this: ./script_name 1 2 3

P.S. Don't forget to chmod the script 755.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6191 is a reply to message #6190] Sat, 05 October 2002 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

tried to run the script (name was xx.php):
#!/kunden/usr/local/apache/share/cgi-bin/php4 -q
<?
?>

and got the error message:
/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php 1 2 3
-v Version number
-a Run interactively
-i PHP information
-h This help

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6192 is a reply to message #6191] Sat, 05 October 2002 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This definately means your PHP binary is not working. This simple test should've worked flawlesly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6194 is a reply to message #6192] Sat, 05 October 2002 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

you may be right, that I do not have access to that binary, but how comes that all the other scripts are working. It seems that there is only a specific function, which is not supported.

I tried the script in a modified way:
<?
var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg[1]']);
var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg[2]']);
var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg[3]']);
?>

You can see it under the link:
http://www.diabetes-kids.de/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php

When calling this script via my browser, it gives me:
NULL NULL NULL

When calling it from my Shell console (Putty), it gives me an error message like:
/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php
: No such file or directoryocs/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php: ?
/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token `var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg[1]'])'
/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php: line 2: `var_dump($HTT'_SERVER_VARS['arvg[1]']);

Anyway, if that does not tell something to you, I will have to give up.

Sorry for taking so much of your time and thanks for your great effort to help me.

Best regards

Michael

[Updated on: Sat, 05 October 2002 15:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6195 is a reply to message #6194] Sat, 05 October 2002 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Your script is not correct, hence the errors, you should be doing:

The individual elements can be accessed via $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['argv'][0] and so on...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6197 is a reply to message #6195] Sat, 05 October 2002 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

even changing the script, will not change the effect.

I tried:
<?
var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg']);
?>

Browser result : NULL
Putty Result: Same as previous message

<?
var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg'][1]);
var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg'][2]);
var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg'][3]);
?>

Browser result : NULL NULL NULL
Putty result: Same as previous message

I am really frustrated and I can imagine the same for you.

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6198 is a reply to message #6197] Sat, 05 October 2002 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This means that register_argv_argc is off, otherwise $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg'] would be an array with a single element, that could be shown as: $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['arvg'][0].

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6200 is a reply to message #6198] Sat, 05 October 2002 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

according to the phpinfo on my server, this register in set to ON.

See at http://faq.puretec.de/skripte/php/7.php

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6203 is a reply to message #6200] Sat, 05 October 2002 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, it is clearly not working, since _SERVER["argv"] is empty.

BTW, you (your isp?) are using PHP 4.1.1 which has KNOWN remote exploits that are easily exploitable via various utilies on the net. I would strongly advice an immidiate upgrade.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6204 is a reply to message #6203] Sat, 05 October 2002 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

thanks for your help and advise. Unfortunately its not up to me to upgrade the PHP. Its installed by my ISP Puretec, which is the biggest webspace provider in Germany.

If I would have the server standing beside me, many things would be much easier.

I tried again to change the script to:
#!//usr/local/bin/php4 -q
<?
?>

Calling it on the browser see http://www.diabetes-kids.de/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php, it gives me :
array(0) { }

On the Shell level I am getting same error message:
/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php 1
: No such file or directoryocs/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php: ?
/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `var_dump($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['argv'])'
/homepages/33/d18397619/htdocs/forumfiles/scripts/xx.php: line 3: `var_dump($HTT'_SERVER_VARS['argv']);

Best regards and have a very nice weekend.

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6206 is a reply to message #6204] Sat, 05 October 2002 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, as I've said you are using an old PHP version that includes many bugs including security fauls. Make this known to your provider and have them upgrade, otherwise not only will you experience bugs in your application but you stand a good chance at someone deleting/hijacking your data.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6270 is a reply to message #6206] Mon, 07 October 2002 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Prottoss,

again let me thank you very much for trying to help my problem.

I have contacted my ISP and seems that they have no clear plan for upgrading to the latest PHP Version in the near future.

Anyway, except that Newsgroup reader, I've got the Forum up and running very well and without problems. If you want to see, please have a look at http://www.diabetes-ring.de/Forum/

If you can thing of any idea, which may help to get the nnpt.php running on PHP 4.1.1., later on, I would really appreciate any advise, because this is a very good feature.

Best regarding and sorry for taking so much of your time.

Michael

Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6281 is a reply to message #6270] Mon, 07 October 2002 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, there is a solution, however it would require you to have shell access. It would involve downloading PHP sources and compiling a PHP version just for you inside your account and using that to execute those scripts.

Another solution is to hack up the nntp.php script and hardcode the data normally passed (import rule id) via the commandline inside the script itself.
If you are planning to import more then 1 newsgroup then simply make copies of the hacked up nntp.php script, each geared towards importing data from a particular news group.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6357 is a reply to message #6281] Tue, 08 October 2002 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Micha37 is currently offline  Micha37   Italy
Hi Prottoss,

thank you very much for your kind advise.
For a PHP Dummy like me, could you kindy let me know, how such a modified script with the Import rule ID integrated, would have to look like.

Of course I understand that I would need a new script for each imported Newsgroup then.

Anyway, that would solve a real major problem for me.

Sorry to boother you all the time and thanks for your super support.

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6364 is a reply to message #6357] Tue, 08 October 2002 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to make a number of changes, fortunately they are all at the top of the script, so you won't need to dabble in the inner workings.
delete:
        if( $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['argc'] < 2 ) exit("Missing Forum ID Paramater\n");
        if( !is_numeric($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['argv'][1]) ) exit("Missing Forum ID Paramater\n");

delete:
        if( !isset($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['argv'][1]) || !is_numeric($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['argv'][1]) )
                exit("Missing Forum ID Paramater\n");

change:
chdir(dirname($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['argv'][0]));

TO:

chdir(__FULL_DIRECTORY_PATH_TO_SCRIPTS_DIR__);

change:
$nntp_adm->get($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['argv'][1]);

TO:

$nntp_adm->get(__RULE_ID__);

Obviously __FULL_DIRECTORY_PATH_TO_SCRIPTS_DIR__ and __RULE_ID__ should be changed to appropriate values.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6369 is a reply to message #6364] Tue, 08 October 2002 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I LOVE YOU!!!

No, I am not gay, but I really got it to work based on your suggestion and I am having an internal party now!!

Thank you so much for your patience and time and absolute excellent suggestions.

If you ever look for a job in Germany, let me know.

Best regards

Michael
Re: Importing Newsgroup and Mailinglist Problem [message #6371 is a reply to message #6364] Tue, 08 October 2002 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Hi Prottoss,

thanks for your support.
I have another question.

Is it somehow possible to limit the import of newsgroup messages to only new messages. Actually I am trying to import a newsgroup, which contains more than 6000 entries and my script execution limit (10 sec.) prevents me from importing all at once.

Accordingly the same messages is imported over and over again.

If I could limit the cronjob to new messages only, the script limit should be sufficient.

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards

Michael
Pages (2): [1  2    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: which files/files
Next Topic: categories and forums disappeared for guests :(
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Oct 04 20:19:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03088 seconds