FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Mailing list integration
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mailing list integration [message #7172] Sat, 09 November 2002 18:40 Go to next message
RAAJ is currently offline  RAAJ   United Arab Emirates
Hi..

I just install this forum. Everything went smooth & perfectly. I'm going to use this forum in my website, because I like the Mailing List integration feature, because it's my dream feature. But unfortunately there is not much details available in the documentation about this feature, I would appreciate a step by step guide.

I'm newbie my questions may look like silly. Please bear with me.

1) Do I need to get a mailing list email address outside, or FUDforum can create one?

2) If I have to get an outside mailing list, then which is best way to do it?

3) I thought of replacing my Yahoo!Groups with FUDForum, if I have to create an outside Mailing list address, then don't you think the contains will exist in two places (one in my mailing list and one in my FUDForum)?

4) Lastly, is there anywhere I can get a detailed explanation about how to integrate FUDForum with Mailing Lists.

Thanks

RAJ

[Updated on: Sat, 09 November 2002 18:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mailing list integration [message #7173 is a reply to message #7172] Sat, 09 November 2002 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
RAAJ wrote on Sat, 09 November 2002 13:40

1) Do I need to get a mailing list email address outside, or FUDforum can create one?

2) If I have to get an outside mailing list, then which is best way to do it?

FUDforum needs to have the message 'injected' into it via the maillist script, there are examples in the documentation. The recommended way is to do it via procmail, which is a utility that will pipe certain incomming message (for example all messages going to my_mailing_list(at)yahoo(dot)com to FUDforum).

Quote:

3) I thought of replacing my Yahoo!Groups with FUDForum, if I have to create an outside Mailing list address, then don't you think the contains will exist in two places (one in my mailing list and one in my FUDForum)?

Not sure I understand the question, please clarify.

Quote:

4) Lastly, is there anywhere I can get a detailed explanation about how to integrate FUDForum with Mailing Lists.

Hmm it is a fairly simple process... with the most difficult part being setting up the mail redirect rule. If you use procmail you can find numerous sites on Google that will tell you how to use it.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Sat, 09 November 2002 18:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mailing list integration [message #7174 is a reply to message #7173] Sat, 09 November 2002 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAAJ is currently offline  RAAJ   United Arab Emirates
Thanks for your quick reply.

I think I confused u in question no. 3. I will split it into two parts.

1)I have a website, but I don't have a forum, bcos people like to receive thru email, and post thru email, so I have to use yahoo!Groups for that purpose. So I have to go out of my website for discussion purpose. I thought by using FUDforum I can solve this problem.

2) If I have to give that yahoo!group's address in the FUDforum as mailing list, then will my messages will be in both places, or just redirected from y!groups.

BTW, where to find the Procmail utility?

Thanks
Re: Mailing list integration [message #7176 is a reply to message #7174] Sat, 09 November 2002 19:21 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Many Unix operating systems already have this utility installed, if your does not, simply look for it on www.freshmeat.net.

FUDforum cannot replace a mailinglist in that regard, it can merely mirror it (online archive) and if you allow people, they can post messages to the mailing list via the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Newbie questions
Next Topic: limiting access to registration page....
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 17:37:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02809 seconds