FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Mailing List-FUDforum Format Problem
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mailing List-FUDforum Format Problem [message #9063] Tue, 11 March 2003 14:46 Go to next message
jgbutler is currently offline  jgbutler   United States
I just recently set up a FUDforum-mailing list gateway. I'm having a problem with the formatting of messages in the FUDforum (2.3.7) that originated on a mailing list.

The problem is that all the lines are run together as one long line. There are no line breaks. (This occurs in both Mozilla and MS IE.)

If, however, I quote such a message in FUDforum and post a reply, then the quoted part looks as it should--with proper line breaks.

I should mention that I initally had trouble running maillist.php and had to alter it by deleting this line

#!/usr/local/bin/php -d register_argc_argv=1 -q

And changing the .procmailrc pipe to

| /usr/local/bin/php /www/html/forum/data/scripts/maillist.php 1

Could this be the source of my problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Re: Mailing List-FUDforum Format Problem [message #9065 is a reply to message #9063] Tue, 11 March 2003 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found the problem:

When "Allow HTML in Mailing List Messages:" is set to Y, the line breaks don't happen. When it's set to N, they do.

The msgs withOUT the line breaks were ones that were not originally HTML-encoded, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

Is this a bug?

Re: Mailing List-FUDforum Format Problem [message #9124 is a reply to message #9065] Thu, 13 March 2003 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
That's not a bug, because the assumption is that HTML will already have <br> for the line breaks.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List-FUDforum Format Problem [message #9126 is a reply to message #9124] Thu, 13 March 2003 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see.

So, what's the best setting to use when some mailing-list msgs will be HTML-encoded and some will not?

Thanks for the info.

Re: Mailing List-FUDforum Format Problem [message #9129 is a reply to message #9126] Thu, 13 March 2003 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Plain Text is best approach in most cases. Allowing HTML is dangerous cause you never know what that HTML may contain.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List-FUDforum Format Problem [message #9133 is a reply to message #9129] Thu, 13 March 2003 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That makes sense except for folks--like my dad--that sends out HTML encoded msgs without knowing it.

For folks like him, won't the msgs be blank if the setting is "plain text"?

Thanks for all your work on FUDforum.
Re: Mailing List-FUDforum Format Problem [message #9136 is a reply to message #9133] Thu, 13 March 2003 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
No, it'll simply strip the HTML and keep the content.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List-FUDforum Format Problem [message #9180 is a reply to message #9063] Fri, 14 March 2003 14:36 Go to previous message
sorha2   Sweden
I had similar issues, but I added <pre>-tags to the
message template. That allows me to keep the HTML-formatting I want and still handle line breaks without <br>.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Error when posting, fud 2.3.8
Next Topic: How to change the header and footer in FUDForum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Oct 02 16:23:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03153 seconds