FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Integrated Listserv/Mailing List (ie, not bridging)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Integrated Listserv/Mailing List (ie, not bridging) [message #12054 is a reply to message #12051] Sun, 27 July 2003 02:06 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The purpose is 'limited' because the original intent was simply to allow FUDforum to be used as a mailing list and newsgroup archive. That was the original design goal. During the development I've decided to add the code for posting messages back to the list simply because it was easy to do and would serve as a good example of how to send messages from FUDforum to external sources.

My resistance to making a FUDforum a mailing list manager is due to several reasons. First of all I am not a big fan of 'all in one' software, in my experience such software more often then not is a much lower value to the users that separate packages that are specifically tuned to handle their individual tasks. This feature would also cause problems for the current design, which allows anyone who can subscribe to a mailing list archive it's contents. Mailing list is a complex piece of software and mailing list manager is not a simple 400-500 or even 1000 line script, we're looking at least 10000 lines of code and many hours of planning, coding debugging and debugging. And ultimately this is just reinvention of a wheel implemented by many more then adequate existing mailing list managers. Call me dense, but I just do see the real need to reinvent the wheel, or at least have not heard any convincing arguments as to why a forum would need to act as mailing list manager.

FUDforum Core Developer
[Message index]

Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: "Password protected forums"
Next Topic: How do I make anonimo vote on polls
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Aug 03 05:43:02 GMT 2024