FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Message autosave feature?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Message autosave feature? [message #28520 is a reply to message #28518] Thu, 27 October 2005 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Anonymous wrote on Thu, 27 October 2005 16:48

Well, it can be written without using server resources very much at all. The message data can be saved to a local cookie. That would require only a simple check, the next time the user visits the forum, to see if there is a saved message and then present the user with the compose form if there is one.

I never posted the feature request because I knew you wouldn't go for it. That is why I have placed it on my list of possible hacks to do later.

Here is a short list of problems with that approach:
1) Cookie can store limited information reliably, which means long messages will be cutoff or lost. (4kbytes is the maximum cookie size, although in some browsers it is as low as 1kbyte)
Keep in mind your data will be "bloated" since you'll need to URL encode it, another 20/30% bump to the actual message size.

2) You cannot store attached files, polls and message options cannot be stored inside cookies, so those would be lost.

3) This presents a security concern since you now have data coming through a unvalidated input source. Opens a whole can of worms from the security side of things.

4) To auto-save you'll need to use Java-script running in a loop, so people without JavaScript support will not have this feature available.
I suppose this is not a critical issue as you can place a "save" button.

FUDforum Core Developer
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message