FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » internal server error
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
internal server error [message #14250] Tue, 11 November 2003 12:07 Go to next message
bobmurphy is currently offline  bobmurphy   Ireland
i am on the installation step and when i hit the next button i get an internatl server error - yet when i got to my site error log it shows no errors - i have mailed my host to find out if they have any theories as to why but do you have any ideas
Re: internal server error [message #14260 is a reply to message #14250] Tue, 11 November 2003 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I presume you are using php CGI or FastCGI?

Try installing FUDforum 2.6.0RC4.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: internal server error [message #14269 is a reply to message #14260] Tue, 11 November 2003 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Tue, 11 November 2003 15:21

I presume you are using php CGI or FastCGI?

how would i find out -- and what difference does it make --- i have a phpinfo() file up at
http://www.oneweekofdays.com/forum/test.php

am uploading version 6 at the moment - i'd like to ask though that as it seems like it's not an official stable version - will it be difficult to change to the most recent stable version if and when it get the installation versions out of the way as stability is one of the major design criteria i have in mind ?
Re: internal server error [message #14272 is a reply to message #14269] Tue, 11 November 2003 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You are using CGI version, which would explain the problem.

Well, in some respects 2.6.0RC4 is more stable then 2.5.2 and in some it is not. If you are starting a new forum go ahead ans install RC4 and then upgrade to 2.6.0 stable when it comes out.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14274 is a reply to message #14272] Tue, 11 November 2003 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tried installing the version you said but still no dice -- after i click next i am greeted with
Quote:

Internal Server Error, this is an error with your script, check your error log for more information.
- i asked my host about the error log and he said that if i had uploaded a .htaccess file with my scripts then that would explaing the missing error as it suppresses it or something - but i havent uploaded one of those at least that i can think of - i put on phpwebalbum but that doesn't seem to have loaded a .htaccess file either -- is there any reason to suspect that FUDforum might be in any way responsible -- just trying to cover all the bases as i really want this particular forum on the website as it gives the option of treeview which i havent seen on another deacent board.
Re: internal server error [message #14276 is a reply to message #14274] Tue, 11 November 2003 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum does in fact place .htaccess file, hower in RC4 installer is it done ONLY for apache & apache2handler sapis not for the CGI ones.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14277 is a reply to message #14276] Tue, 11 November 2003 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Try running the following script and see what you get:
<?php
var_dump
(PHP_SAPI);
?>

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14278 is a reply to message #14277] Tue, 11 November 2003 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i run that script i get

string(3) "cgi"

Re: internal server error [message #14281 is a reply to message #14278] Tue, 11 November 2003 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok so let's see... You've downloaded FUDforum 2.6.0RC4 and after filling out the paths (1st step of the installer) you get error 500 when you click next?

Please open install.php and look for function called htaccess_handler()
the 2nd line of that function should be:
if (!fud_ini_get('allow_url_fopen') || strncmp(PHP_SAPI, 'apache', 6)) {

is that the case?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14284 is a reply to message #14281] Tue, 11 November 2003 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Tue, 11 November 2003 18:58

... after filling out the paths (1st step of the installer) you get error 500 when you click next?
- i actually get
Quote:

Internal Server Error, this is an error with your script, check your error log for more information.

... and i am not 100%sure about the paths i am filling in ( could this be the problem) --- i am using the folder in which resides the install.php file as the first folder (chmod777) and the next folder is not created so i created it (chmod777) and called it FUDforum --- then the last field i set pointed to the web address for the first folder as eventually i suppose there'll be an index.php file in there that will be the ultimate URL of the forum ... i hope all this is right.

am checking the install file at the moment
Re: internal server error [message #14286 is a reply to message #14281] Tue, 11 November 2003 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think that it's really the first line of that function ....

function htaccess_handler($web_root, $ht_pass)
{
	if (!fud_ini_get('allow_url_fopen') || strncmp(PHP_SAPI, 'apache', 6)) {
		unlink($ht_pass);
		return;
	}
	if (version_compare(PHP_VERSION, "4.3.0", ">=")) {
		/* opening a connection to itself should not take more then 5 seconds */
		ini_set("default_socket_timeout", 5);
		if (@fopen($web_root . 'index.php', 'r') === FALSE) {
			unlink($ht_pass);
		}
	} else {
		$url = parse_url($web_root);
		if (!($fp = @fsockopen($url['host'], (isset($url['port']) ? $url['port'] : 80), $err, $err2, 5))) {
Re: internal server error [message #14287 is a reply to message #14286] Tue, 11 November 2003 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you get an error when you 1st try to access install.php then we've got a different problem all together.

Inside the directory where install.php resides put php.ini file with the following content:

error_reporting = E_ALL
display_errors = 1
display_startup_errors = 1
error_log = /domains/o/n/oneweekofdays.com/public_html/forum/php_errors

Then rerun the script, after it gives you the error, check the /domains/o/n/oneweekofdays.com/public_html/forum/php_errors for the actual error information.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14288 is a reply to message #14287] Tue, 11 November 2003 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Tue, 11 November 2003 19:28

If you get an error when you 1st try to access install.php then we've got a different problem all together.

i actually get to the first page --- it's when i click the next button on the page that i get the server error

am not sure where you mean to look for the error but i tried the sites error log and i got the error [Tue Nov 11 19:39:38 2003] [error] [client 194.165.167.35] File does not exist: /domains/o/n/oneweekofdays.com/public_html/public_html/forum/php_errors

now that looks like me looking in the wrong place for what you were talking about

btw i have a folder on the site called forum ( from a different forum - i could delete it if it's gettin in the way ) -- but i didn't find anything in there like "php_errors"
Re: internal server error [message #14289 is a reply to message #14288] Tue, 11 November 2003 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What I was trying to get is to make your PHP log errors so that we could see what is causing the "Internal Server Error (error 500)" on your server.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: internal server error [message #14290 is a reply to message #14289] Tue, 11 November 2003 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe this is not important but the error that comes up doesn't mention anything about error 500 - it just says internal server error
Re: internal server error [message #14291 is a reply to message #14290] Tue, 11 November 2003 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
internal server error is error code 500.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14293 is a reply to message #14290] Tue, 11 November 2003 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
More about error codes and other HTTP features see
here, as it's always useful to know what exactly is happening on the server.

Olliver

PS: rather a big document, may take a few seconds to load on slow connections
Re: internal server error [message #14294 is a reply to message #14291] Tue, 11 November 2003 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok well i have verified that the site error log does in fact work - i generated a few errors and they appeared on the log -- however the internal server error in question did not --- i would really like to find out what this error is and what is generating it so what is the idea you had for writing the error to a different log -- i just didn't know specificaly where you were saying to look ---
Re: internal server error [message #14295 is a reply to message #14294] Tue, 11 November 2003 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, it could be because PHP-cgi is unable to open install.php.
Consider this, I tried to access http://www.oneweekofdays.com/this_script_does_not_exists.php (I doubt this file exists).

The error I recieved was
"Internal Server Error, this is an error with your script, check your error log for more information."

Which is identical to the one you get when trying to install FUDforum.

When go to step #2 where the error occurs, what is the address URL and what is the address (URL) of the install.php you access initially. The error could be due to the installer not redirecting you to the correct location.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14296 is a reply to message #14295] Tue, 11 November 2003 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you're on to it there - ..... well the url is always different because of the ?number (forgotton the name for it) appended to it last time it was http://www.oneweekofdays.com/messageboard/install.php?2074560909
actually i was a bit suspicious of this earlier so i tried running it in IE instead of mozilla -- i also tried unblocking cookies from the site ( which i didnt think were blocked anyway )

but i think that browser seems not to be able to find the url

btw the first url (step 1 ) is ..http://www.oneweekofdays.com/messageboard/install.php

[Updated on: Tue, 11 November 2003 21:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: internal server error [message #14297 is a reply to message #14296] Tue, 11 November 2003 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The number does not matter, it merely prevents your browser from caching the page. What matters is the path of the file. I was try to see if the path not the query string changes.

For example if
http://www.oneweekofdays.com/messageboard/install.php
changes to
http://www.oneweekofdays.com/cgi/install.php

However, this does not appear to be the case. Try checking your website's error log (not then PHP one) to see if there are any errors to give us a clue as to why this is happening.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14298 is a reply to message #14297] Tue, 11 November 2003 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the website error log is the one that i have been referring to up to now ( nothing on there about the internal server error at all ) - i do not know how to access the php error log

in fact from my website control pannel i only have an option to look at one error log ---- that is ---
Quote:

Error Log View this virtual server's error log

[Updated on: Tue, 11 November 2003 21:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: internal server error [message #14299 is a reply to message #14293] Tue, 11 November 2003 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that file oliver
Re: internal server error [message #14300 is a reply to message #14299] Tue, 11 November 2003 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Dunno... The basic checks that I had in mind do not appear to reveal any information. If you want give me access to the account and I can try to see how this problem can be resolved.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14301 is a reply to message #14300] Tue, 11 November 2003 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure - how do i do that -- i suppose you'd need my ftp username and password , is it ?
Re: internal server error [message #14302 is a reply to message #14301] Tue, 11 November 2003 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's correct, you can send them via a private message or e-mail them.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14303 is a reply to message #14302] Tue, 11 November 2003 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok sent those by pm - hopefuly you've gotton them - i never used private messageing before so i hope i've got it right. Smile
Re: internal server error [message #14304 is a reply to message #14303] Tue, 11 November 2003 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I got it... I'll take a look...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14314 is a reply to message #14304] Wed, 12 November 2003 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as what the guys at the host did is concerned that i referred to in the pm i sent you just now ... they seem to have installed a compressed version of the installer file (to the folder 'fud'-- i came up against this previously ... the error generated was
Quote:

Warning: gzuncompress(): data error in /home/m/u/murphyr/public_html/fud/install.php on line 449
Failed decompressing the archive
.. i found this on the archive yesterday and the person was advised to try the uncompressed version, which is what i've been working with since ... however i do find it strange as the xlib compresssion is actually installed on the server i think.
Re: internal server error [message #14318 is a reply to message #14314] Wed, 12 November 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, the error itself indicates that the PHP's zlib function was unable to decompress the archive. This could be the result of a corrupt archive or broken PHP.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14321 is a reply to message #14318] Wed, 12 November 2003 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok well anyway -- the install file i was using myself was the uncompressed version and i was installing that to the folder 'messageboard' so maybe it's better if we keep going along that line ( unless, that is you think that it's better to try the compressed version )

bob

ps. i sent you the new passord by pm
Re: internal server error [message #14331 is a reply to message #14321] Wed, 12 November 2003 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you manage to get into the account ??? Very Happy
Re: internal server error [message #14332 is a reply to message #14331] Wed, 12 November 2003 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, did you not see my private message?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14339 is a reply to message #14250] Wed, 12 November 2003 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry - thanks -- i'll work away on that then

would it be simple to explain what the problem is as i'd like to explain to my host what it was so that then they would be able to recommend the forum as one which installs without issue ( assuming it's sorted out that is ) Shocked
Re: internal server error [message #14340 is a reply to message #14339] Wed, 12 November 2003 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The next release will have the problem fixed, so it is not an ISP issue per say. However, PHP running as CGI with a memory limit is somewhat buggy, which is what had caused problems for the installer originally.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14344 is a reply to message #14340] Wed, 12 November 2003 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe this should be in a different thread;

however - i have 2 problems, one of which is fixed - i had a problem loging in, but i fixed that by setting chmod775 on the folders adm and phpglobals which was inside ( as per one of the posts on the forum ) --- so that seems alright at the moment

however there now seems to be something wrong with the display, take a look at the forum www.oneweekofdays.com/messageboard - there are no colours on there and the positioning seems a bit wierd

i hope you can sort this out

bob
Re: internal server error [message #14345 is a reply to message #14344] Wed, 12 November 2003 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Use the admin control "Lock/Unlock Forum's Files" to unlock forum's files. That'll fix the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: internal server error [message #14346 is a reply to message #14345] Wed, 12 November 2003 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i went to the url you said; and the page said the files were UNLOCKED - but i hit unlock anyway, and the forum worked; however the page had said i should make sure to lock the files when i was finished editing, so i went back and locked them - however now i am not allowed into anything at all
Re: internal server error [message #14347 is a reply to message #14346] Wed, 12 November 2003 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You should've left the files unlocked.

To resolve the situation simple chmod the forum's main & adm directories 0711 and then unlock the forum yet again.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon14.gif  Re: internal server error [message #14357 is a reply to message #14347] Thu, 13 November 2003 00:42 Go to previous message
it all seems to be working now - i am about to start into reading the manual so i'll leave you alone unless i get another problem -- thanks for your unrelenting help

bob
Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: I might need help installing and uploading files of this cool forum
Next Topic: Fallen at the first hurdle
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Oct 02 10:22:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04809 seconds