FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Problems to remain logged-in
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Problems to remain logged-in [message #14256] Tue, 11 November 2003 14:57 Go to next message
jewe is currently offline  jewe   Germany
Hello,

I have Problems with RC4 (also with RC3) - even with this supportforum.

After a few klicks I am no more logged in - and have to reenter my name and password.

I think this could be a problem of our Proxy-Network: We have many Proxy-Servers with different IP-Adresses and they change frequently.
(It's the same with AOL-Users).

Is it a bug or a (dirty) feature?

Greets,
Jewe

Greetings from Germany,

Jens
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14259 is a reply to message #14256] Tue, 11 November 2003 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Are you using AOL browser?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14261 is a reply to message #14256] Tue, 11 November 2003 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No.
In my case I am in a large company - using standard IE 6.x over a proxyfarm.

But I know that AOL-Users do have the same problem with changing IP-Addresses in some cases - maybe even with fudforum...

Greetings from Germany,

Jens
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14264 is a reply to message #14261] Tue, 11 November 2003 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
For AOL users there is a special hack, the takes the IP address out of the user authentication equation. If your proxy(?) or ISP changes your IP mid-session you'll have problems.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14265 is a reply to message #14264] Tue, 11 November 2003 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it changes mid-session.

Where do I find the hack for AOL-Users? I think this should solve my problem.

Greets,
Jens

Greetings from Germany,

Jens
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14267 is a reply to message #14265] Tue, 11 November 2003 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Look at the ses_make_sysid() function inside cookies.inc.t. Inside that function you should see the AOL hack.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14282 is a reply to message #14267] Tue, 11 November 2003 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
I'm seeing this issue being logged out as well. It usually happens if I choose to go offline for a while and then reconnect (getting a different ip assigned). According to your brief descriptions this seems to be a hardwired "feature". Is there a way to make this ip thing optional so people can stay logged in even if they're offline? I mean there aren't many people out there who are 24/7 online and keep the same ip all over again.

But ok, I see this is almost offtopic here, I just wanted to mention that it appears like a bug to someone who doesn't know about this functionality. I even looked through the admin options hoping to find a switch to make it go away, but no go so far Sad

Olliver
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14283 is a reply to message #14282] Tue, 11 November 2003 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There is no option to make that option to go away and the idea is to maintain session integrity, meaning that you are not logged out while using the forum. If you close your browser or reconnect (to internet) or leave the site for extended periods of time then your session will be made invalid.

However, you've brought up a good point and I'll make IP validation an optional setting in RC5.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14285 is a reply to message #14283] Tue, 11 November 2003 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Thanks. I'm sure a number of people will appreciate it.

Olliver
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14372 is a reply to message #14256] Thu, 13 November 2003 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

I updated to RC5 - an disabled "Session IP Validation:" - but nothing changes.
I even have to relogin every few seconds Sad

Greets,

Jens

Greetings from Germany,

Jens
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14387 is a reply to message #14372] Thu, 13 November 2003 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Do you have referrer checking disabled as well?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14395 is a reply to message #14372] Thu, 13 November 2003 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
jewe wrote on Thu, 13 November 2003 08:46

I updated to RC5 - an disabled "Session IP Validation:" - but nothing changes.
I even have to relogin every few seconds Sad

For me it's working, however I disabled both referrer check and IP validation. Should solve your problem as well

Olliver
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14398 is a reply to message #14395] Thu, 13 November 2003 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
DId you have to disable them manually? Both of these settings should've been disabled by default.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14403 is a reply to message #14398] Thu, 13 November 2003 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Concerning the referrer check I think I disabled it in RC 4 but not too sure whether it already had been turned off as default. The IP validation was already turned off.

Olliver
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14417 is a reply to message #14256] Thu, 13 November 2003 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I checked that it's disabled - and it was.

May be it has something in common with the other mysterious problems.
But at home I remain logged-in (and have the problems with the profile-saving).

Greets,
Jens

Greetings from Germany,

Jens
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14419 is a reply to message #14417] Thu, 13 November 2003 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Strange, I have not heard similar reports from other users of this forum as well as few other test forums I've upgraded to RC5.

That said I did test the forum with IE 6.0 on Windows XP (not RC1 I think) and it worked fine. Could you try to see if this is problem particular to the browser you are using or if it is browser idependant.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems to remain logged-in [message #14429 is a reply to message #14419] Thu, 13 November 2003 22:15 Go to previous message
Olliver   Germany
Ilia, the problem does exist, however only by the time you get a different ip assigned. I wrote a reply in the other thread about this subject for details.

Olliver

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2003 22:15]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: b0rked filemanger in RC5
Next Topic: FAQ does not describe [php]
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 22:37:36 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02115 seconds