FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Next topic with moved topics
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Next topic with moved topics [message #28250] Fri, 14 October 2005 15:15 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
One of our moderators just reported this problem:

Quote:

I use the Next topic/Previous topic browsing links at the bottom of a topic's page to navigate through the topics in a forum. When a topic is moved by a moderator, the links do not get updated, taking me to another forum. The links in the topic I opened, point to the next and previous topic in the new forum though, so I lose track of my original forum.

How to simulate:

1. Create a new message in forum X
2. Move it to forum Y
3. Messages in forum X still points to the message in forum Y

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #28272 is a reply to message #28250] Sat, 15 October 2005 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This is not a bug, what happens is that you get redirected to the moved thread pointer and that sends you to the message in the other forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #28292 is a reply to message #28272] Sun, 16 October 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
OK, maybe it's not a bug - just an inconvenience.

A user may happily browse forum A, then suddenly realizes that all posts are off-topic, because they jumped to another forum without knowing it.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #28390 is a reply to message #28292] Fri, 21 October 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Another moderator wrote this:

"I know what you mean. Many times I have been happily browsing along from one message to the next using the links in the lower right-hand corner. After a while, I start to notice that the questions seem like they belong in another forum or look like ones that I already read in another forum. Eventually it dawns on me that one of them must have been moved from the forum that I started in and I check and confirm that I am now in a different forum. Then, I have to go back to the other forum and resume where I left off. One workaround is to use the browser's back arrow to go back to the list of questions, after reading each question, but then it is two clicks instead of one, to get to the next question. Can it be made so that the next topic and previous topic links skip topics that have been moved to other forums? Or will we just have to settle for two clicks or pay closer attention to where we are?"

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #28415 is a reply to message #28390] Sun, 23 October 2005 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
See if this patch does the trick:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=7409

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #28422 is a reply to message #28415] Sun, 23 October 2005 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks for the patch!

I get this error when viewing a thread from source forum I've moved the message from:

(/home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forum/index.php:76
/home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forum/index.php:172
/home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forum/theme/mytheme/msg.php:659
/home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forum/theme/mytheme/msg.php:980
/home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forum/index.php:1171
) 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY tv.seq DESC' at line 1
Query: SELECT m.id, m.subject FROM fud26_tv_37 tv INNER JOIN fud26_thread t ON tv.thread_id=t.id INNER JOIN fud26_msg m ON t.root_msg_id=m.id WHERE tv.seq IN(35, 43) LIMIT 1 ORDER BY tv.seq DESC
_GET: array ( 'rid' => '42504', 't' => 'msg', 'th' => '53855', 'start' => 0, )
Server Version: 4.0.24-standard

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Next topic with moved topics [message #28425 is a reply to message #28422] Mon, 24 October 2005 00:44 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Fixed in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Error message when splitting topic
Next Topic: Unable to determine email
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 22:21:55 GMT 2024