FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » can't get attachments to work when piping from mail
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
can't get attachments to work when piping from mail [message #12866] Mon, 15 September 2003 06:35 Go to previous message
mhucka is currently offline  mhucka   United States
First, let me say that FUDforum is incredible. I've just spent 2 days trying out a number of email-aware forum systems and FUDforum is by far the best.

I'm still learning how to use it, so the following is probably a problem due to my ignorance. I'm trying to populate a forum using a saved mbox of messages to a mailing list. As far as I understand it, I should be able to pipe an individual email message to the maillist.php script, as follows:

cat msg | /var/www/html/sbml/FUDforums/scripts/maillist.php 1

(Here 'msg' is a saved message in standard unix mailbox format.) Everything *almost* works, except for one thing: attachments in the messages don't show up at all on the web page. You can see an example here:

http://www.sbml.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=7&start=0&rid=2

You can find the original message text file here:

ftp://ftp.cds.caltech.edu/pub/mhucka/msg

I've tested posting and attaching messages via the web interface, and sure enough, attachments *do* show up fine, as you can see from the following example:

http://www.sbml.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=6&start=0&rid=2

So it appears the forum configuration is good, and attachments are working -- just not when I use maillist.php. Yet looking in the code in maillist.php and the scripts it invokes, it does look like there's code to parse attachments in there. So after several hours of configuring, reconfiguring, testing and thinking, I have to give up and call on a higher authority Smile.

Please let me know your suggestions about what might be going wrong, and sorry to waste your time if I'm just doing something really stupid. You can tell me to RTFM, but please tell me which M to R, and where in it I should look.

In case it's useful, here are some stats on the installation:
System Configuration

PHP built On: Linux daffy.perf.redhat.com 2.4.20-2.48smp #1 SMP Thu Feb 13 11:44:55 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Database Version: 3.23.56
PHP Version: 4.2.2
Web Server: Apache
WebServer to PHP interface: apache2filter
Forum Version: 2.5.2
Relavent PHP Settings:
Safe Mode: OFF
Open basedir: none
Display Errors: ON
File Uploads: ON
Magic Quotes: ON
Register Globals: ON